You may have heard the four official Chinese versions or the 25-language version of Frozen’s “Let it Go”, but have you heard China’s latest trending version – the fanmade version compiled by 括号君 from netizens singing in a small sample of 26-dialects all loosely falling under Chinese ? Also I love the mainland film version of Love is an open door if you haven’t heard it.
If you don’t succeed once, try again. Several years after two non-hit modern musicals, Hunan TV is not ready to give up. Their latest musical series, Song of Battle 唱战记, will be yet another musical. The school-based musical will include over 50 original songs as well as many covers from coproducer ee-Media, the company best known for its music. The series stars Wang Yaoqing as a teacher seeking revenge, Qin Lan as the friendly sidekick, and Huang Yida, Chai Biyun, Fu Mengni, Ou Hao, and Xie Binbin as the students.
The posters are surprisingly bleak, but the leaked stills seem to make this still an energetic musical drama. More posters below the cut.
I didn’t want to spam Cfensi with my anger, but I needed to vent … here are are a series posts on American reactions to the recent terrorist attack in Kunming if anyone’s interested, mostly focusing on the media.
Originally posted on It it wasn't China ... :
The United States condemns this frightening and meaningless transportation accident on 9/11. We express condolences for the family of the victims , and express solitude to those affected by this tragedy.
The United States condemns this frightening and meaningless act of violence in Kunming. We express condolences for the family of the victims , and express solitude to those affected by this tragedy.
- “Baidu will establish a film company – Aquamen Entertainment – in LA. …The first film will be a 3D animation Kong (Wu Kong) based on Chinese classic novel Journey to the West, combining science fiction, UFOs and robots. Budget is expected to reach US$40 million.” More here.
- Director Zhang Yibai begins filming That year 匆匆那年 starring Ni Ni the beautiful, Eddie Peng, Zheng Kai, Zhang Zixuan, Wei Chen. Film is based on the book of the same name.
- Caught between three big films, Wong Jing’s The Ex-Files 前任攻略 (Han Geng, Zheng Kai, Wang Likun) magically broke 100 million with only about 10% screen share. The film won fans over with clever lines and a cute cast, except it’s so misogynistic that even the trailer wants me to rip up the script (trust me, at least the first 20 minutes of the movie that I endured is as bad as the trailer).
- Black Coal, Thin Ice 白日焰火 wins big at the Berlin Film Festival. More here.
- Speaking of Zheng Kai. After playing so many boy-next-door supporting actors, he’s finally getting his own lead, this time with actress Rainie Yang. The two stars in Love at not first sight 一见不钟情, based on the book of the same name and about contract living that inevitably leads to love.
- Huang Xiaoming, Angelababy go official for her birthday when he surprised her with a new racecar with him inside.
If you were rich and gorgeous, what else would you do other than pour 300 million RMB (other than investing in 75 more Dad? movies) onto a series with 260 costumes so you can cosplaying the last Empress reagent of China (the latest one being you, of course)? Fan Bingbing certainly did. Although the spending for her upcoming series series, The Empress of China 武则天, might be a little over extravagant, I’m certainly not complaining given how pretty these stills are.
More stills below, where she’s gorgeous even in peasant outfits!
- Trailer for Tang Yan, Yang Rong, Hawick Lau’s The Lady & the Liar here.
- Zhao Liying, Hawick Lau’s Secret of the wife to air on Hunan TV in March.
- Following the Ancient Sword, Huanrui receives approval for another fantasy wuxia series, Kunlun 昆仑, based on the book of the same name.
- Zhao Liying, Han Dong, and Zhou Fang’s Lovebirds series 错点鸳鸯·戏点鸳鸯 finally to air on satellite on the 20th. While part 1 is a bit all over the place, I’m a big fan of part 2′s Han Dong – Zhou Fang pairing. After watching part 2 at least three times, I’m so excited for a HD version!
If you thought a month was fast for breaking box office records, Beijing Love Story 北京爱情故事 is here to prove you wrong. The Chen Sicheng- film used the double holiday on Friday to their advantage to take in 120 million RMB on opening day, breaking the previous record for highest box office for a 2D film made by “Dad, where are we going?” just 15 days ago.
The romance (plotwise unrelated to the series of the same name) stars newlyweds Chen Sicheng and Tong Liya as well as Carina Lau, Tony Leung Ka Fai, Yu Nan, Wang Xuebing, Wang Qingxiang, Siqin Gaowa, Ouyang Nana, and Liu Haoran. As with the series, Chen Sicheng is both the director and head scriptwriter. For those of you in North America, the film is currently showing major cities across the US and Canada.
Listen to the pretty theme song by new 2013 favorite Xiaoke below:
The Olympics are here again, so idarklight is again distracted by prettiness. Here’s a post dedicated to the young generation of figure skaters.
First up is the darling of the team - Liu Zijun. At the age of 17, she’s the national champ for female solos four times over. The first Chinese female to medal in a world event since Lu Chen in the 90′s, not to mention one of the cutest. The girl is such a charm that her routines have so far consisted of Snow White, Up, and my favorite, Sleeping Beauty.