With over 600 million views, Never Ever Expected (万万没想到) is one of the most successful online shows around. The mini-comedy drama is a collaboration with Youku and Wan He Tian Yi Company. Generally, each episode lasts for about 6 minutes. It is generally very funny (in a nonsensical way) and I thought it would be nice to introduce and share with you this production. Each episode is different but they have a few episodes dedicated to a special theme such as Chinese New Year. The starting song is very catchy and before you know it, you are actually humming it unconsciously!
Despite a foot injury and other setbacks, The White Haired Witch Of Lunar Kingdom, starring Huang Xiaoming, Fan Bingbing,Yan Kuan, Vincent Zhao, Tong Yao, Li Xinru, Nicholas Tse, Wang Xuebin, has finally released a trailer. Screening is planned for April 25. Synopsis and stills below the cut.
You may have heard the four official Chinese versions or the 25-language version of Frozen’s “Let it Go”, but have you heard China’s latest trending version – the fanmade version compiled by 括号君 from netizens singing in a small sample of 26-dialects all loosely falling under Chinese ? Also I love the mainland film version of Love is an open door if you haven’t heard it.
Before we step into this week’s shenanigans, please consider holding a moment of silence for the victims of the March 1st Kunming attack, which left 29 civilians dead and 143 others injured.
I haven’t been able to find much information about providing aid, short of flying to Kunming and volunteering at hospitals there, which are still treating victims. For those of us who can’t do anything tangible for the situation, let’s follow Yuan Hong‘s advice:
Friends in Kunming, how are you doing? Those thugs are still at large, a reminder to everyone to be alert. May the wounded be safe and the decease rest in peace. As for us, try your best to remain rational and calm. Any negative or hostile moods from us are exactly what they, the ones who caused this massacre, wanted to achieve. The scars of hate carved by the devil brandishing a knife — only love can heal.
Fortunately, there is lots of love for this week’s round-up, starting with writer-racecar driver-director Han Han and his daughter.
Am I the only one who thinks Liu Shishi looks an awful lot like Yang Mi int his first still? Don’t look under the cut if you don’t like the color blue; there’s tons of it as Liu Shishi poses for Marie Claire in bright lipsticks. Shishi’s fans should be happy: her upcoming dramas include The Legend of the Moon and Stars, Happiness of an Angel, Bu Bu Jing Qing, Sorry But I Love You, and Incisive Great Teacher. Of these, Bu Bu Jing Qing and Incisive Great Teacher play her across her real life boyfriend Nicky Wu. Happiness of an Angel is a modern day drama piece about a single mother and an ailing daughter (the “angel”), with Ming Dao as her doctor-love-interest. Sorry But I Love You will star Liu Shishi against Wu Xiubo (Tiantian’s fan!), with Le Geng playing her childhood sweetheart and Wu Xiubo the boss at her new company.
If you don’t succeed once, try again. Several years after two non-hit modern musicals, Hunan TV is not ready to give up. Their latest musical series, Song of Battle 唱战记, will be yet another musical. The school-based musical will include over 50 original songs as well as many covers from coproducer ee-Media, the company best known for its music. The series stars Wang Yaoqing as a teacher seeking revenge, Qin Lan as the friendly sidekick, and Huang Yida, Chai Biyun, Fu Mengni, Ou Hao, and Xie Binbin as the students.
The posters are surprisingly bleak, but the leaked stills seem to make this still an energetic musical drama. More posters below the cut.
I didn’t want to spam Cfensi with my anger, but I needed to vent … here are are a series posts on American reactions to the recent terrorist attack in Kunming if anyone’s interested, mostly focusing on the media.
Originally posted on It it wasn't China ... :
The United States condemns this frightening and meaningless transportation accident on 9/11. We express condolences for the family of the victims , and express solitude to those affected by this tragedy.
The United States condemns this frightening and meaningless act of violence in Kunming. We express condolences for the family of the victims , and express solitude to those affected by this tragedy.
I’m sad that none of these pictures have Cindy in them, but on the plus side, there are several with her parents, Tian Liang and Ye Yiqian. Angela Wang makes an appearance though, together with her parents Wang Yuelun and Li Xiang. Everyone’s favorite Shitou shows off how tough he is while he poses with father Guo Tao. Jimmy Lin looks smart in a suit – no Kimi to be seen, though. Zhang Liang‘s photo leaves us no doubt that he’s a model, with those long legs…But where’s Tian Tian? Having tea with Cindy?
Sorry, jjss08 is completely smitten with this series.
- “Baidu will establish a film company – Aquamen Entertainment – in LA. …The first film will be a 3D animation Kong (Wu Kong) based on Chinese classic novel Journey to the West, combining science fiction, UFOs and robots. Budget is expected to reach US$40 million.” More here.
- Director Zhang Yibai begins filming That year 匆匆那年 starring Ni Ni the beautiful, Eddie Peng, Zheng Kai, Zhang Zixuan, Wei Chen. Film is based on the book of the same name.
- Caught between three big films, Wong Jing’s The Ex-Files 前任攻略 (Han Geng, Zheng Kai, Wang Likun) magically broke 100 million with only about 10% screen share. The film won fans over with clever lines and a cute cast, except it’s so misogynistic that even the trailer wants me to rip up the script (trust me, at least the first 20 minutes of the movie that I endured is as bad as the trailer).
- Black Coal, Thin Ice 白日焰火 wins big at the Berlin Film Festival. More here.
- Speaking of Zheng Kai. After playing so many boy-next-door supporting actors, he’s finally getting his own lead, this time with actress Rainie Yang. The two stars in Love at not first sight 一见不钟情, based on the book of the same name and about contract living that inevitably leads to love.
- Huang Xiaoming, Angelababy go official for her birthday when he surprised her with a new racecar with him inside.